Tuesday, July 24, 2012

FAMOUS DOCTOR

OMG! China is a beast. The locals are in a race to become the most rich & famous people on earth, doctors notwithstanding. Profit motivates people & the most populous country on the planet has bought in en masse. On my first day, I met the chair of the outpatient oncology department, Dr. Lam. She carries the title of Famous Doctor in this hospital. As capitalism infiltrates the People's Republic of China, free-market system rears its ugly head in all areas of life. The underlying edict: Money buys you the best health care available. In my first meeting with Dr. Lam, I couldn't help noticing the posse milling around her. An air of self-importance filled the room. Not only was there a long line of patients waiting for their turn, she was also buffered by a host of interns drooling for any little nugget they can find. Dr. Lam was straight up pimping. She asked me gruffly what I wanted to learn. I came back with the stock response: how to use combination therapy to treat cancer & which particular herbs to use under what circumstance. She wasn't impressed. She ordered me to come next morning to follow her during her shift. However, her directive was that I needed to go to the oncology department in another building. I thanked her & left. When I showed up the next morning, the vibe of the clinic was decidedly different. It was clean & not overrun by patients. Later on, I asked my uncle how come the difference. He chuckled & said that one is for common folks while the other is reserved for those who pay a handsome fee for Dr. Lam's expertise. He added objectively: No money, no talk. While I tried to temper my judgement, my stomach was knotting up. Something was not right. It wreaked of opportunism. Upon that first meeting, I wondered if I had slipped a red envelope to Dr. Lam, I too might have received preferential treatment from the Famous Doctor.

2 comments:

  1. I am thoroughly enjoying your postings. You are both an insightful and entertaining writer. Keep it up Chris. I am reminded of my time in Beijing back in the late 1980's. When you get home it would be nice to hear your stories in person.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. It's flattering to get positive feedback from one of my peers. I'm sure China was a very different place back in the late 1980's.

    ReplyDelete